Monday, August 1, 2011

Mini Shopping Spree and a Painting

A lot of stuff happened yesterday. My mom and I ventured to Janesville, the only decent place to shop around here because I wanted to look for some yarn at Michael's. I also needed black shoes for work. Anywhoozle, I went to Michael's, coupon in hand, hoping to find some light green alpaca yarn because I've been itching to make a scarf, despite this heat wave in the Midwest. Of all the yarn at Michael's, they didn't have what I was looking for, not even the brand! I was disappointed, but I didn't want the coupon to go to waste, so I picked up some Bernat Satin yarn in Banana (love the name!) and striped Lion Brand fun fur (I don't see a colorway; but it's cream, light blue, and light green). I figure I can make this fuzztail as my next amigurumi project, as it is very cute and it looks like good practice with fun fur.

I also got buttons so I can make Lily Razz's ankle bracelet. My mom and I also went to Bath and Body Works (I had a coupon for a free sample of Paris Amour!), Waldenbooks was closing so everything was 20% off, and my mom wanted to go to K & W Greenery, where I made friends with the fishies in the koi pond :)


Looking at my purchases, I realized what a wide range of stuff I got. I don't usually shop at so many stores in one day. So I took a pic:

Random, but I'm happy :)
I'm going to be taking AP Art. The teacher gave us a lot of projects to work on over summer. We have three major art pieces to finish, among other things. And being the on-again-off-again procrastinator that I am, I just finished my first major art piece. My assignment was to do a piece on a household pet, and evoke an emotional response.

I was going to post my painting side-by-side to the original picture. But when I looked at the painting that way, it just didn't look very good. Now I'm a little embarrassed by my painting. Well here's the original picture, at least:

That's my kitty, Willow, yawning in my mom's sink.

My painting isn't that bad. But I'm realizing that I messed up when I drew the thing on the canvas, it doesn't show the effort she put into yawning that wide, and it just looks silly when compared to the original. I think it's fine on it's own, though. 

Whatever, I'm such a perfectionist, I can never fully please myself...

Well, I can please myself with crocheting :) I used to be into painting, but whenever I would picture something in my head, then try it out, it looked nothing like how I had envisioned and I would get frustrated. I'm sure this happens to a lot of people, but I just can't stand it. With crocheting, I'm given a pattern. And if I follow it, it pretty much always turns out like it should. And that makes me so happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment